Thursday, July 5, 2018

Big Brother Does it Again


New Law on Painkillers Please  click the link to the left and read this short News story.

Big Brother does it again. In trying to protect us from ourselves, they end up harming the most vulnerable of us. Due to several untreatable medical conditions, I have suffered from chronic and sometimes acute pain, moderate to severe, for about ten years. I am on two opiates to try to manage this pain, one slow release to give a base level of relief and the other fast acting to manage breakthrough pain. It is a regime reserved for cancer patients and those who suffer from untreatable, long term conditions with moderate to severe pain.

Without these meds, I cannot function, period. The pain takes over, demanding all my attention and driving me to do anything for relief... I pray, I lay in bed sweating profusely, often vomiting, and I moan because I can't help myself. Tears come, accompanied by anger and frustration that the medication that can make my life bearable is almost impossible to get. And no, I am not an addict. One look at my X-rays and there is no doubt of the need for medication. It's crazy!
The face of advancing pain. It is moderately bad here and can progress to severe within 30 minutes or less.
Our nation and especially Florida has been waging a war on prescription drugs. Sadly, their efforts have added to the suffering of those with legitimate needs than cutting back on those with recreational drives.

For months now, pharmacies have been experiencing a contrived short supply of opiates. I have to spend days trolling for a place where my prescription can be filled. One month, we could only find a place that had 35 pills out of the 120 I was prescribed. I gladly took the lesser amount only to later discover I could not fill the remainder since controlled prescriptions cannot be split. It took two more trips to the doctor's office and many trips to pharmacies to finally fill my whole prescription, but the sad affair left me in several days of agony because I was out of meds. 
Also, in a relatively short time the cost of a month's supply of one of my pain meds soared from $45 to $280!!! This means my copay is now more than the entire cost of the med only a short while back.
Today, I went to fill my prescription for the long acting med, but the new law, which took effect July 1st, requires a diagnosis and specific wording be written on the scrip, so the pharmacist, who knows me well, could not fill the prescription. I was sent back to the doctor who has been my physician for over ten years, and she immediately wrote a new prescription. The one it replaced had been written in June so that I wouldn't have to pay again for an office visit. She didn't charge me for today. 

Then, when I got back to the pharmacy, they only had 35 of the 60 that I needed! We hit the streets again, drug shopping. Finally, after over an hour, we got my meds. It had taken all day and to stay relatively comfortable, I need to spend several hours laying flat in bed... So it's been a painful day and promises to be a worse night. Ridiculous.
Pain keeps me flat parts of every day, but my trusty guard dog keeps me company.

So, here I have a doctor and pharmacists who know me... but on the road, I will just be a stranger looking for pain relief. How hard will it be for a doctor to look at my X-rays, believe I am legit and haven't got falsified papers... These laws turn me into a potential "druggie" and I may really have a time getting help. I am praying.

I am one of the lucky ones, those who are terminal, have cancer or long term incurable disorders. Those who simply hurt from accidents, surgeries, or any less dire causes of pain, no matter how severe can only get a prescription for a 3 to 7 day supply of pain meds! Are they kidding? There is no estimating the amount of suffering that has already been caused by these politicos tampering with drug administration, but now they have, knowingly or not, inflicted a near fatal blow to the humane practice of medicine.

What makes me most frustrated is that there is no real concern for the patient. Most of it is political posturing from both parties. The doctors and pharmacists hate it and they were not really consulted! The government has usurped the ability of professionals to care for the medical and pharmaceutical needs of patients.

7 comments:

  1. I am so so sorry to read this news and to know you are in such pain I pray that things get easier, meds cheaper, and that the pain goes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva... I know G-D never has His children suffer needlessly, so whatever He is accomplishing, either in my life or someone else's, I am trusting Him and knowing He is with me. Because of that, I am happy, my life is rich and full and I choose to concentrate on better things. Love you, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Iona: I pray between the Dr and pharmacist they will make acceptations. There has to be a loop hole for people like you, I pray there is one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this isn't the first time the government hbas stepped into areanas it has no business in, but I also realize there has to be some control of dangerous drugs. I prsy for a common sense solution, b ut I don't believe interfering in tthe medical arena is it. Good to hear from you, sweet lady. Love yoou always.

      Delete
    2. Like my heavenly Father God, as He is so am I, in this world. All my writings and words and comments that I just attempted to send you have disappeared. But, also like my Daddy God, Romans 8, "My word goes forth out of my mouth and shall not return to me void, but shall do and preform that which I have sent it to do.
      Therefore, Iona, even though I might not have the capacity to rewrite all I had written that was snatched off the computer, I believe my prayers are doing their work in your life. I attempt to repeat some of those things I just spoke, prayed and lost visually, a meant ago.
      May they reach you now. in Jesus' Name!! The previous words and now these.
      I rebuke the "enemy who came to steel, kill, and destroy." John 10:10. BUT, Jesus came to give life and give it more abundantly, in Jesus' Name.
      Lord sees and knows about EVERYthing you described in your blog, letters, emails, situations and conditions that are coming against you or you and Richard, including govt. interference.
      I loose you from every attack and dart of the enemy, the causes and the effects of all matters of the evil one trying to come against you, in every way, in Jesus' Name.
      I break every harmful, destructive, hurting, negative root, cause, source, torment, accident, immobility, strain, sickness, negative person, weakness, handicap, infirmity, bad living situation, such that, going back retroactively in time to the beginning of evils, these thing are ALL removed, uprooted, reversed, stopped, cleansed, healed, eradicated, destroyed, now!! in the Matchless Name of our Precious Jesus Christ.
      I bind you and Richard to the Lord Jesus Christ and the perfect will of the Father, Creator, God of Abraham, Isaac and Joseph, the Beloved Holy Spirit of the Most High God, in the Name of Jesus Christ. Romans 10:9 & 10. Romans 12. Romans 8.
      I call you free and delivered from all evil, every evil, wherever it exists.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Donna. Yes, there are many, many like me, and one day it will all be sorted out and common sense will prevail. But I am finding that one day at a time, our L-RD provides solutions and small victories. My issue is to learn to trust and not worry.

      Delete
    4. Topo Gigi, something happened as you were posting here and I could not reply. I did get the same note in email and appreciate every word. Thank you so much.

      Delete